Lead Application Engineer – Tacoma, WA
The Lead Application Engineer role provides assistance to various departments, answers questions about technical functionality and technical support for software products at TrueBlue. This position has primary responsibilities in production deployment, event management and application support of the Web and Application Tiers, while participating in architecture, design, deployment, testing and reporting on new functionality, patching and application service upgrades. The individual in this role will lead the Application Specialist Team to investigate, consult, resolve and report assigned Tier 2 Service Desk tickets within defined Service Level Agreements (SLAs), coordinating with the Business, IT and 3rd party vendors on a regular basis. This role serves as 2 Tier contact for all critical Business application support with senior leadership.
- Complete a wide variety of technical and administrative duties in the areas of business application support, Change, Incident and Problem Management, provides continuous operational and technical support to application users.
- Responsible to lead the effective utilization of Event Management monitoring, paging and communication tools for 24/7 support to ensure minimal downtime of critical Tier 1 business applications identified by supervisor, managing onshore and offshore resources appropriately.
- Mentor subordinate Application Engineers to help them grow their technical, interpersonal and project skills
- Consult with and take direction from supervisor when establishing and adhering to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements.
- Resolve customer inquiries and issues in a timely manner; communicate resolution effectively in person, by email and phone communications.
- Responsible for the deployment, maintenance and support to a large number of environments including Test Labs, Preproduction and Production.
- Manage open tickets by identifying, prioritizing, assigning and resolving to ensure responsive service to the Business and IT teams.
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise (SME) for application and environment technologies, advising the Development team on identified Production defects on system, application, database, scheduling and systems interface topologies.
- Responsible for supporting mobile-based solutions, ESB, middleware solutions and client server solutions.
- Receive, prioritize and resolve escalations from the Service Desk and Management team.
- Lead the identification, creating and implementing of new process improvement opportunities, Standards and SOPs operations to improve productivity and effectiveness of the team.
- Attend and participate in SWAT and Problem Management meetings for Major Incidents and IT Service interruptions.
- Responsible for leading the creation and maintenance of Application documentation and Knowledge.
- Respond to Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical requests, incidents and change questions, escalating to Tier 3 development and 3rd party support organizations in a timely manner.
- Responsible to maintain technical, soft and business skills, attending training as assigned by supervisor.
- Participates and contributes to Scrum/Agile planning meetings, leading the release and maintenance of preproduction and production application environments.
- Provide IT knowledge on the following operating systems/technologies: Windows 2008/2012 to current, Linux and application installation
- Lead regular Application maintenance patching, upgrades and Tax updates to Business Applications in Preproduction and Production to ensure consistent supported is maintained and Test Lab environment reflect that found in Production working with Development and Quality Assurance teams.
- Submit identified Production defects to the Development team by working with Scrum Masters utilizing Rally and Team Foundation Server.
- Utilize Team Foundation Server, Rally and understand Agile process concepts for filing bugs and user enhancement requests.
- Use project organization skills to interpret customer requirements and turn them into technical solutions.
- Responsible to follow and coach team to use Request, Incident, and Change Management tools appropriately and ensure compliance to Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) audit, legal and discovery requests are responded within the SLAs following SOPs communicating to the appropriate supervisor, department and entity.
- Identify, monitor, report and track service delivery measurements and metrics on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis.
- Willing to participate in on-call activities and shift duties.
- Will assist in other duties assigned.
- Bachelors Degree +5 years experience (Masters with 3+ year experience)
- Associates Degree +8 years experience (or equivalent work experience).
- Strong technical understanding of the various hardware, software and networking systems being supported with at least 3 years in an application and database support role with a demonstrated track record of resolving complex solutions.
- Hands on experience troubleshooting the following platforms: Windows 2008/2012 servers, Windows desktop, Linux, Web clients and network protocols.
- Experience managing environments for Hosted, Cloud and Hybrid, supporting Development and Production environments that include N-Tier architecture.
- Experience architecting back office source systems (i.e. Payroll, Human Resources, General Ledger, Hiring/Employee Processing, Inventory & Purchasing, Vendor Payments and Time & Attendance).
- Experience managing mobile-based solutions, 3rd party providers and their application stores.
- Hands on shell scripting using with PowerShell, Perl and Java.
- Experience with multi-source system databases (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL) connected and managed with ESB middleware and task schedulers.
- Excellent communication and time management skills with the ability to track and ensure the success of multiple simultaneous projects across the team.
- Excellent analytical, technical and diagnostic skills, ability to lead Incident Management resolutions, troubleshoot Root Cause Analysis (RCA).
- Display advanced knowledge in general IT technology including networking, databases, applications and hardware.
- Possess good project management skills including project planning, scoping and task execution adapt quickly to constantly changing business priorities.
- Strong PC-based business software skills including MS Project, MS Office suite, and Visio (or other process design software).
- Experience with implementing and defining ITIL and Compliance processes in support of policies and frameworks for IT best practices.
- Strong experience with monitoring and alerting solutions and software tools.
- Display strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively with executive Business and IT leadership, peers and subordinates.
- Knowledge of development agile framework, DevOps and version control including continuous delivery tools such as Octopus, Jenkins, JFrog Artifactory and GitHub.
- Preferred to include experience with LAMP architecture (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technologies and adapt to change